The seeds of the Icelanders of Victoria club were sown in 1995 when a small group of people of Icelandic descent began to gather socially. They recognized the need to promote an interest in Icelandic culture, tradition and heritage and by 1997 the present Association was formed.
The Icelanders of Victoria sponsor an annual Thorrablót banquet, an Independence Day picnic in June, and a Christmas party. Other social evenings throughout the year include Genealogy and visiting artists and lecturers. We have actively participated in the Scandinavian Association since it was formed in 1996, including the festivals held since that time.
According to our constitution, the objectives of the “Icelanders of Victoria” are as follows:
- Facilitating language classes as needed;
- Celebrating an annual Thorrablót banquet and an Independence Day Picnic;
- Holding at least four social evenings a year where we can enjoy our Icelandic heritage;
- Hosting or sponsoring other activities that promote an interest in the Icelandic culture and traditions.
At the annual Thorrablót banquet the club appoints a new Fjallkona. Currently the title is held by Roxanne Pleshak. Past holders of the title have been:
- Karen Vopnfjord (1996-97)
- Heida Laufur (1997-98)
- Sigrun Cuffling (1998-2000)
- Mattie Clegg (2000-01)
- Linda Bjarnason (2001-02)
- Ruth Cartwright (2002-03)
- Kay Sessions (2003-04)
- Freyja Grace Martinot (2004-05)
- Trish Baer (2005-06)
- Jan Magnusson (2006-07)
- Virginia Guenther (2007-08)
- Runa Pleshak (2009-12)
- Vorna Butler (2012-13)
- Valla Eiriksson (2014-16)
- Roxanne Pleshak (2016 – )